Used swap 0MB of 0MB - why?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Jan 19 14:01:56 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 14:25 +0100, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> > Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> >
> >> Neither swapon nor mkswap are recognised by my bash terminal. I get a
> >> lot of that trying to follow what people suggest - is something wrong
> >> with that too!?
> >

> > You've probably got the wrong PATH setting, by using "su" to become
> > root instead of "su -".
> >
> > Paul.
> >

> thanks, i've always used
>  >>su root
> what is
>  >>su -
> ?
>
> It didn't help though. I get
>
> > [root at 3e6b347a dulithgow]# su -
> > [root at 3e6b347a ~]# swapon -s
> > [root at 3e6b347a ~]# mkswap /dev/hda6
> > /dev/hda6: No such file or directory
> > [root at 3e6b347a ~]#

Duncan,
that says the partition hda6 is not defined.

try "fdisk -l /dev/hda" and see what partitons are defined.
If one of those is listed as type 82 linux swap, then that would be the
name you would use in the mkswap and swapon commands.
if no partitions are defined as type 82 swap then you cannot make swap
available until you have a suitable partition to do so.