Flash plugin: stupid question

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 17:07:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:49:50 -0300, Mariano Lopez Reta
<mlreta at datafull.com> wrote:
> Jonathan Berry wrote:
> >This won't work since he is running x86_64.  The installer is too
> >smart.  It realizes it is running in a 64-bit OS and refuses to
> >install, even though it works fine with a 32-bit browser.    You can
> >get an RPM (which is better since Fedora is RPM based) of the flash
> >plugin from:
> >http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/1367214/com/flash-plugin-7.0.25-1.i386.rpm.html
> >
> >Jonathan
>
> Jon,
>
> Thank you very much. I have a flash-enabled Firefox browser now. Now,
> would the rpm work if I had the x86-64 version of the browser? Remember
> that I replaced with the 32 bit version.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Mariano

No problem.  No, it will not work with the 64-bit browser :(.  I guess
the RPM would install (maybe), but you would not get flash in the
browser.  We'll have to wait for Macromedia to come out with a 64-bit
flash player.  Similarly for the Java VM.  There is not 64-bit Java at
least, so the VM may not be far off.

Jonathan