Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Jan 19 19:21:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 11:54, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 11:19, Craig White wrote:
> > ---
> > > and 2) what it does show you is to be carved in stone, not
> > > re-arranged willy-nilly after you've clicked on the next button.
> > ---
> > it doesn't
> > ---
>
> No, he's right on this one.  Try creating a layout with /boot first,
> then /, then swap, then /home where DD creates all the partitions.
> Every time I've tried without fdisk'ing the partitions first, DD
> re-arranges the layout into some other order.  That is especially
> stupid in the case where you try to make an identical layout on
> the next drive and RAID1 mirror the partitions, then DD moves them
> so they end up paired with something on the same drive.  FC3 has
> some new options for mirrors so it may not be as difficult as before,
> but we still need some way to nail down a layout in DD that will
> be repeatable in the resulting kickstart file.
----
sorry Les but we are talking Apples and Oranges

When the partitions don't exist OR you are instructing Disk Druid to
create the partitions, I agree that the arrangement is fluid and subject
to some ruleset inside Disk Druid code that can't be controlled.

BUT

If the partitions already exist and you instruct Disk Druid to use the
existing partitions, they don't move.

Assuming:
- Pentium IV or Athlon (I have no experience with others)
- You will need "/" - swap and /boot partitions. All other partitioning
is optional
- Existing partitions are logical... Partition 4 should be extended
partition and if you plan to have say a large '/home', it should be
inside it's own partition inside that extended partition.

All you need to do is assign the above partitions to existing partitions
and install can continue in a predictable manner. The display within
Disk Druid will be accurate and will not change unpredictably.

Yes, the creation and selection of things like RAID volumes has gotten
much easier with each new release.

Craig