"/dev/sda1 does not exist" Why????

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jan 19 21:53:00 UTC 2005

dan wrote:
> Steven Pasternak wrote:
>
>> I use FC3 kernel 2.6.9-1.667 and when I plug my USB pen drive in and
>> click on the kde icon I made it says that "/dev/sda1 doesn't exist".
>> If I open a super user terminal and go to /dev and type 'MAKEDEV sda1'
>> it makes it, but says it doesn't say that it is a valid block device.
>> WHY??
>>

> Perhaps this KDE utility needs configuring?  Is it pointing to the
> location of the actual device?  If you run 'mount', does it show
> anything about your thumb drive already being mounted to a different
> mount point?

Also note that "/dev/sda1" is a specific partition on your thumb drive.
Many thumb drives don't have partition 1, but rather use partition
4, a.k.a. "/dev/sda4".  Try mounting that.  or run "fdisk -l /dev/sda"
to get a listing of which partitions ARE on the thumb drive.
- If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate -