Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Jan 19 22:11:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 14:49 -0500, William Hooper wrote:
> Les Mikesell said:
> > On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 11:19, Craig White wrote:
> >
> >> ---

> >> ---
> >> it doesn't ---
> >>

> > No, he's right on this one.  Try creating a layout with /boot first,
> > then /, then swap, then /home where DD creates all the partitions. Every
> > time I've tried without fdisk'ing the partitions first, DD re-arranges the
> > layout into some other order.
>
> I would need a repeatable test case (and will be checking your example out
> later) that the rearranging happens _after_ you hit the next button.  I
> believe your example is DD rearranging the partitions on the setup screen,
> before you write anything to the disk.  If indeed DD is displaying one
> thing then writing something else when you hit next that is a bug that
> needs to be reported.

Your comments above are EXACTLY what Craig, Gene, and I have been
saying. (Although Gene has had other problems as well).

In my case, I created the partitions in the order I wanted them,
verified the display in DD was in the order and sizes I wanted, then hit
the button to finish and the result written to the disk was reorganized
into a different order than what I had specified.

DD does not allow you to specify where the extended partition starts
_unless_ for each primary partition you check the box for forcing it to
be primary and then after you have specified 3 of those you have
effectively told it the rest are extended.  In that respect you can
control what is primary and what is extended but you still have no
control over the order of the partitions in either the primary or
extended areas.