Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jan 19 23:45:09 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 13:58, Reg Clemens wrote:
>> I don't think I ever said it can do no wrong. I just said it
>> always works fine for me. And that it's ridiculous to just keep
>> saying that it should be thrown out with no replacement.
>
>"With no replacement" ??? I believe everyone who has complained has
> said just give us back fdisk as an alternative and we will be
> happy.
>
>But then, someone at REDHAT is just SO happy with DD, and whether
> Fedora is supposed to be open source or not, we are going to be
> stuck with DD for the rest of our lives.
>--

Well, lemme toss a little more kerosene on the fire here.

I took that 46GB drive I was talking about and put it in that machine,
and carefully for the most part bypassed as much of DD as I could,
useing the extra shell to do the partitioning, formatting and even
labeling of the partitions I setup on /dev/hdb.  DD for instance,
would have nothing to do with a seperate /root partition, and I've
never, ever been without one.

Anyway, I did get it to go past DD finally, and the install then
proceeded just fine, till it got to openoffice at the head of cd #2.
It reported the media was full and aborted the install, so I rebooted
(that was the only choice) to the rescue disk, got a shell and
started mounting that drive partition by partition to see what was
full.

To be simple about it, nothing except /tmp/loop0 is full, at about 170
megabytes.  The worst case useage according to df is 10%, and /
itself is like 2% utilized.

In trying to do a dir on /tmp/loop0, it says its not a directory but a
file.

This box has half a gig of pc2100 ram in it.

So I'm stuck, it won't install because the drive is full, but it has
many gigabytes of free space on the drive.

Oh, and the installer is indeed putting /roots stuff in a subdir of /.
If that was the only problem, I wouldn't be fussing cause I can
edit /etc/fstab, copy the stuff over and reboot, no big deal.  But no
space on a 46GB drive when only about 2GB have been installed?

Like I said, DD boggles the mind.  What do I do next?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)