Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jan 20 00:24:02 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 17:57, James Wilkinson wrote:
> [...]
> fix things.
>
>So that means you need root's home directory on / (so root can login
> and get at his or her settings), along with utilities like fsck,
> tar and mknod, so you can actually fix any problems with /usr (or
> rebuild it from backup).
>
>And the root filesystem should be as small as reasonably possible,
> to minimise the chances that anything goes wrong with it.
>
>The justification at
>http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEROOTFILESYSTEM
>(which is the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard that Fedora and
> nearly every other Linux basically follow) is a worthwhile read.
>
>Note that some commercial Unices use "/" as root's home directory. I
>find this... untidy, but it does prevent ambiguities when someone
> talks about "the root directory" (and you're not sure they're using
> much precision).
>
>If I ask "what sort of 'most private business' needs to be done as
>root?" then you'll probably tell me it's most private! But e-mail,
>spreadsheets, word-processing, and the rest can and should be done
> as normal users. Anything that counts as "business" should be
> stored under /home or on another filesystem.
>
>There's no loss of security, as long as root is trusted. In fact,
> you get *more* security, because there are less ways for an
> ordinary user to compromise the security of the data.
>
>(If you do have to keep it under /root: you can always create
> another filesystem and mount it there...)
>
>And "nothing more secure than a directory on /"? As Fedora currently
>comes, there is no real difference between having a folder on one
>filesystem or on another. While Linux is booted, it will provide the
>same protection. While it isn't booted, anyone with physical access
> can swipe the drive, or boot a CD, USB key, or floppy and read data
> from the hard drive.
>
>Now it would be possible to merge in some of the patches floating
> around to provide an encrypted swap, and have an encrypted
> filesystem that you mount at login (entering a password) for
> sensitive files. *Then* you'd get security benefits from having
> sensitive documents on a different filesystem.
>
>Just as long as you're prepared for something to break, and that
>filesystem not to mount.
>
>Incidentally, the FHS says, at
>
>http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#FTN.AEN1037:
>> If the home directory of the root account is not stored on the
>> root partition it will be necessary to make certain it will
>> default to / if it can not be located.
>
>(Fedora doesn't do this by default...)
>
>> We recommend against using the root account for tasks that can be
>> performed as an unprivileged user, and that it be used solely for
>> system administration. For this reason, we recommend that
>> subdirectories for mail and other applications not appear in the
>> root account's home directory, and that mail for administration
>> roles such as root, postmaster, and webmaster be forwarded to an

Lets just say that we will have to agree to disagree on this one and
let it go at that.  I personally have never had just one partition,
regardless of its name, fail to mount if the fstab is written
correctly.

In my case, on this machine, I took advantage of konstruct (or the
other way around) and had it install the last kde I built in root.
Works just fine for me, and I'm the only user...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)