Why are RPM's distro specific?

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 02:00:47 UTC 2005

RPMs are for Redhat-based distributions only, so whenever you see RPMs
you know that its a redhat 'type' distro.  With say, Debian or Knoppix
you have a differrent package manager so you have .deb files.  RPM
stands for Red Hat Package Manager.  That said, you can sometimes take
some liberties with rpm's.  For example you can run the 'noarch'
version or run one .rpm on another machine and sometimes get it to
work depending on the tweaking.

Marc