DNS issues in FC3

Bill Cronk ngc4013 at cox.net
Thu Jan 20 02:14:41 UTC 2005

>>>Bill
>>
>>You don't say which tool you are using.

>I can assume he is using the graphical configuration tool for DNS.
>I had problems with FC1 using the tool.  Because the tool assumed the
>non-chrooted version was setup and the changes it made were to the
>configuration files not chrooted.
>I ended up editing the files by hand at the chrooted place and
>everything worked; except of course for the DNS tool provided with X.

>I hope this helps Bill.  If not, you could be right and we would need
>to know more about which tool he was using and weather the DNS was
>running chrooted or non-chrooted service.

>James

Forgive me, I can not use my home email address while at work and I can't have the level of email traffic generated by the lists while at work. They are blocking all Webmail access for sending messages out so I need to come home before I can send any responses to the list.

Your right I didn't mention which tool. Since I don't use any Redhat or Fedora versions here at home I can't answer that question very accurately.

In FC3 click on the Redhat in the panel, goto the menu portion for system(?) settings, then the next sub menu at the top contains the DNS tool, NFS tool, and the tool for starting and stopping the daemons (plus maybe 1-2 more). That graphical DNS configuration tool is the one I was using.

So far all FC3 installs have the DNS running in chroot.

I too manually manipulated moved the files I created with Webmin into the /var/named/chroot/var/named location then created the static links back into the /var/named location, restarted Webmin and discovered that now DNS works and I was able to use Webmin to manage the configuration. Even after the configuration was in place the Fedora tool still would not function properly to manage the it.

Bill