Why are RPM's distro specific?

Michael Scottaline nbhs2 at i-2000.com
Thu Jan 20 02:49:15 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:39:22 -0500
Robert Locke <rlocke at ralii.com> insightfully noted:

RL>On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 21:00 -0500, Marc M wrote:
RL>> RPMs are for Redhat-based distributions only,
RL><snip>
RL>
RL>Gee, I think that might be a surprise to Suse that they are a RedHat-
RL>based distribution....
RL>
RL>Actually, does that make AIX one too???
RL>
RL>BTW, while Red Hat is the original contributor of rpm, it is now, I
===============================
One of them, at least.  I believe the now pariah status, Caldera, was also
one of the original contributors to RPM.
RL>believe, officially a self-referencing acronym, standing for "rpm
RL>package manager"....
"self-referencing"?  like "Gnu's Not Unix" for GNU??  <8^)
Mike

--
"The man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30
years of his life"