firefox launch error

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 20 03:00:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 12:23:56PM -0500, William Hooper wrote:
> Analog Kid said:
> [snip]
> > I ran "strace firefox" --> a lot of stuff just ran through my
> > screen (a lot of lines of data). Not sure what I should look for there? It
> > had so much "garbage" in between that I could not understand what was
> > going on....
>
> Generally you just need the output toward the end to see where it is
> stopping.  Perhaps you can copy and paste the end of the output here so
> that we can give you a hand.

Do not forget the -f and -o flags for strace.

   strace -f -o /tmp/strace-output-firefox firefox

    $ which firefox
    /usr/bin/firefox
    $ file /usr/bin/firefox
    /usr/bin/firefox: Bourne shell script text executable

Since firefox is launched by a script (or it should be)
you need the -f flag for strace to follow the exec.
The Bourne script will test some stuff then launch a perl script
then do some more stuff, etc, etc...  Even java gets played with
if the plugin is there.

The -o flag lets you trap the output.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l