upgrade from 8.0; linuxconf

Rory Barnes rory at hindmost.LPL.Arizona.EDU
Thu Jan 20 03:06:58 UTC 2005

i have been trying to upgrade from 8.0 with no success. when i attempt to
upgrade i get the error:

error reading information on linuxconf: no such file or directory
install exited abnormally.

i have since installed apt-get, and attempted to install linuxconf.
however it tells me that my version of linuxconf is up to date, and does
nothing. i went to the linuxconf webpage, downloaded the latest version,
and attempted to install manually. but i get a string of errors about
conflicts with previous rh7.3 files. i can't even do an "apt-get remove
linuxconf" (it tells me that it will remove 21mb, but then tells me it
can't because there's no such file or directory!?)

does anybody know how to deal with this?

thanks,
rory