Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jan 20 03:34:48 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 21:36, Jeff Vian wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 17:13 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >No, he's right on this one.  Try creating a layout with /boot
>> > first, then /, then swap, then /home where DD creates all the
>> > partitions. Every time I've tried without fdisk'ing the
>> > partitions first, DD re-arranges the layout into some other
>> > order.  That is especially stupid in the case where you try to
>> > make an identical layout on the next drive and RAID1 mirror the
>> > partitions, then DD moves them so they end up paired with
>> > something on the same drive.  FC3 has some new options for
>> > mirrors so it may not be as difficult as before, but we still
>> > need some way to nail down a layout in DD that will be
>> > repeatable in the resulting kickstart file.
>>
>> And I'm down there working on it right now, having put a used 46GB
>> WD drive in as /dev/hdb, and the first real problem is that DD
>> will not allow me to make a /root partition, claiming it must be a
>> directory on /.
>>
>> With all due respect, thats bullshit. I will NEVER partition a
>> drive and put /root as a subdir on /.  I don't have such an
>> arrangment in place on any linux install I have, won't tolerate
>> it.  Its senseless to put your most private business as nothing
>> more secure than a directory on /.  End of discussion IMNSHO.
>> What I do as root, is not any of the semi-public /'s business,
>> none nada zip.
>>
>> So how do I proceed?
>>
>> As it exists right now, and I'm waiting for some learned answers:
>>
>> /dev/hdb1= primary /boot = 100M
>> /dev/hdb2= primary /dos  = 50M
>> /dev/hdb3= primary /root = 4GB But %$#@*& DD won't let me name it
>> '/root', I'm gonna have to do it by hand.
>> /dev/hdb4= extended, remainder of a 46GB disk
>> /dev/hdb5= extended /home = 4GB
>> /dev/hdb6= extended /swap = 1GB
>> /dev/hdb7= extended /var  = 3GB
>> /dev/hdb8= extended / rest of disk, about 33GB
>>
>> /dev/hda is hopefully not to be touched, this is a new install.
>>
>> FWIW, this time on the final release of FC3, I can get a shell
>> with ctl+alt+F2, so that at least is working now.  So I'm going to
>> use that shell to format, install journalling, and label those
>> partitions, and then see if I can get around DD and actually
>> continue a fresh install on this disk.
>
>/root must be part of / filesystem for the install and initial boot
>process. / is the first partition mounted and initially mounts ro
> then after the boot gets past a certain point it then gets
> remounted as rw. Since the install and normal boots proceed as root
> there must be a home directory available for the boot process.
>
>Once the system has remounted the / filesystem in rw mode, then you
> can mount an additional partition over the basic /root, but that is
> your problem with /root and trying to specify that as a separate
> partition during the install.

Which I find a bit odd.  This machine has had a seperate /root
partition all its life.

A df:

/dev/hda7             30237928   1494940  27206976   6% /
/dev/hda1               247919     64356    170763  28% /boot
/dev/hda2               102598     15386     87212  15% /dos
/dev/hda3              4031560    828516   2998244  22% /opt
/dev/hda8             69440888  35838152  30075268  55% /usr
/dev/hdd2             15219872   4207420  10239324  30% /var
/dev/hdd3            176100712 129174736  43347824  75% /amandatapes
/dev/hda5             10079324   5500092   4067220  58% /root
/dev/hda6              4031656    642596   3184264  17% /home
//gene.coyote.den/public
                      39285760  16910336  22375424  44% /mnt/gene
//gene.coyote.den/dlds
                       1028080    351360    676720  35% /mnt/dlds

Obviously I cannot umount it to see if there is a ghost 'root' dir
on /, umount claims its busy since I'm logged in as root at least
twice.

If what you are saying is true though, I should be able to comment
that mount out of my fstab, reboot and check.  Interesting line of
reasoning.  All I can say is that I do not have a machine here
whose /root isn't on its own partition.  I might try that when I'm
awake again.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)