Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jan 20 04:07:27 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 22:03, Matthew Miller wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 07:26:28PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> But why did it bail out from lack of disk space when the most
>> utilized partition its working with is only 10% utilized after the
>> first disk is installed?
>
>What's "it"? Are you still talking about Disk Druid, or is this
> something later on in anaconda? If so, at what point, and what was
> the "bail out" message exactly? What partitions did you end up
> making?

I'm referring to the installer (its name is anaconda?) bailing out
after inserting the 2nd cd, bailing out for lack of (IIRC) "media
space".

I made a 100M /boot on /dev/hdb1, a 50M /dos on /dev/hdb2, a 4GB
on /dev/hdb3 I intend to use as /root eventually, a 4GB /home
on /dev/hdb5, a 1GB swap on /dev/hdb6, a 3GB /var on /dev/hdb7, and
the rest of the disk, about 33GB as /

/dev/hdb is a 46GB ATA100 drive with quite a few hours on it but no
known bad sectors.

When it bailed out and gave me the reboot as the only choice, I
inserted the rescue disk as it was rebooting, got a shell and mounted
each partition to /mnt/hdbboot, /mnt/hdbroot, /mnt/hdbhome, etc, etc
till they were all mounted, but none of the partitions on the disk
was more than 10% full, most at 2%, maybe 3%.  The only one a df said
was full is /tmp/loop0, about 175M which shows as 100% full.
Everything else has oodles of room.  The box only has a half a gig of
very thoroughly tested ram in it.  And I haven't the foggiest where
this 175M /tmp/loop0 actually resides, but I suspect in memory.

I gave up for the evening and shut it off at that point, and tomorrow
just for giggles and entertainment, I'l let it do an automatic
install on /dev/hdb.  I'm curious as to just how fubar that will be.

I'm not overly happy with /var on the same spindle (I got bit by that
one real good with a bad kernel a few months back when it turned the
whole drive read-only, preventing the log from being written that
would have defined the src of the problem), so at some point I may
re-arrange things and put it on /dev/hda someplace.  /dev/hda is a
40GB ATA133, and has an install of BDI-Live on /dev/hda5, and the
rest of it is FC3RC3 which I can cheerfully blow away at some point
given a good install of FC3 final on /dev/hdb.  Ideally, the only
common partition between the two boots should be /swap, and
maybe /boot since it doesn't seem to hurt doing a mix-n-match there
either.  Each grub entry points to completely different sets of
partitions except for /swap.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)