anaconda running out of disk space [was Re: Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1]

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jan 20 04:12:57 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 11:07:27PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I'm referring to the installer (its name is anaconda?) bailing out
> after inserting the 2nd cd, bailing out for lack of (IIRC) "media
> space".

Yeah; anaconda is the installer.

> I made a 100M /boot on /dev/hdb1, a 50M /dos on /dev/hdb2, a 4GB
> on /dev/hdb3 I intend to use as /root eventually, a 4GB /home
> on /dev/hdb5, a 1GB swap on /dev/hdb6, a 3GB /var on /dev/hdb7, and
> the rest of the disk, about 33GB as /

That sounds reasonable (with the earlier caveat about your plans for /root).

> When it bailed out and gave me the reboot as the only choice, I
> inserted the rescue disk as it was rebooting, got a shell and mounted
> each partition to /mnt/hdbboot, /mnt/hdbroot, /mnt/hdbhome, etc, etc
> till they were all mounted, but none of the partitions on the disk
> was more than 10% full, most at 2%, maybe 3%.  The only one a df said
> was full is /tmp/loop0, about 175M which shows as 100% full.
> Everything else has oodles of room.  The box only has a half a gig of
> very thoroughly tested ram in it.  And I haven't the foggiest where
> this 175M /tmp/loop0 actually resides, but I suspect in memory.

If you wouldn't mind trying this experiment again, could you do exactly the
same thing, but instead of rebooting to the rescue disk, hit ctrl-alt-f2
while the out of space error message is still on the screen? Then get the
results of df and of mount at that point.