Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jan 20 04:15:43 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 21:32, William Hooper wrote:
>Gene Heskett said:
>[snip]
>
>> Well, in the instant install I'm doing, I did set /boot up
>> as /dev/hdb1, and as far as the install got, it actually did put
>> the bootfiles in it.  So in this case it did not move anything.
>> But, its also ignoreing the 4GB /root partition, putting the /root
>> dir on /. Thats a genuine bug as far as I'm concerned.
>
>As others have pointed out this is a specific case that is designed
> to not work.  File a bug if you feel that strongly about it, but
> don't get upset if it gets closed NOTABUG.
>
>> Its also bailed out on
>> the first file from disk 2, claiming there is no disk space left
>
>This has nothing to do with Disk Druid.
>
>It seems to me that in the FC1 time frame there were some issues
> with specific chipsets that you had to use "linux ide=nodma" (I
> think) to get installed.  Maybe that bug has come back?  Check
> bugzilla and report it if this is repeatable on your system.

Its a brand new Mach Speed motherboard, with a DX-1400 athlon on it
and has not required that option before.  Even on the old 233MHZ P2
motherboard it wasn't required.  That cdrom is rather slow as a
reader, (10-12x maybe) so it may not be using dma in any event.  It
doesn't even have a tray, just a slot it spits the disk out of, or
grabs it and finished pulling it in when you insert it gently.

Besides, I think that should be reported as a media error as opposed
to a space error, and all 4 disks passed the check it wanted to do
initially.  Took it around 10 minutes per disk to do that.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)