NVIDIA driver *taints* kernel???

Paul subsolar at subsolar.org
Thu Jan 20 05:22:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 19:18 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> So, even if glxgears isn't really a perfect test of performance.  So
> what if
> a more productive benchmark, such a quake, show the Radeon getting
> four or
> five FPSes less than NVidia?  Big deal.  A few FPSes, in exchange for
> something that works out of the box, without screwing around with
> fragile
> proprietary code and having to issue magic spells and sacrificing a
> pair of
> chickens every time I upgrade the kernel, is definitely a good
> bargain.

Quake is not a good game for comparing performance now.

If you are playing a current UT2004 you can probably expect single digit
FPS using the DRI drivers and barely playable framerates using ATI's
binary-only drivers unless they have fixed them in the past year.

Performance might be better if the DRI developers could support S3TC ...
but that's patent encumbered and so they can't.

Paul