upgrade from 8.0; linuxconf

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 13:17:45 UTC 2005

Rory Barnes wrote:
> i have been trying to upgrade from 8.0 with no success. when i attempt to
> upgrade i get the error:
>
> error reading information on linuxconf: no such file or directory
> install exited abnormally.
>
> i have since installed apt-get, and attempted to install linuxconf.
> however it tells me that my version of linuxconf is up to date, and does
> nothing. i went to the linuxconf webpage, downloaded the latest version,
> and attempted to install manually. but i get a string of errors about
> conflicts with previous rh7.3 files. i can't even do an "apt-get remove
> linuxconf" (it tells me that it will remove 21mb, but then tells me it
> can't because there's no such file or directory!?)
>
> does anybody know how to deal with this?

Personally, I'd *strongly* consider doing a new install for this
scenario.

It looks like your RPM database is in less than good shape, you're
looking at a fairly large leap anyway, and if you've used linuxconf for
much (especially e-mail), you're going to have to do a fair bit of
reconfiguration anyway.

There are a few features that you will only get if you reinstall
(depending on what you're doing, they may or may not be important).
There are a lot more that you get automatically on a new install, but
various programs will try to keep the old settings if you upgrade.

I'd take the opportunity to clean up your environment and take the time
to reinstall. It will probably save you time in the long run.

Having said that, I don't know what your situation is, nor how much
extra software you have installed. I don't know how good your backups
are, either.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
James Wilkinson       | 'Short for "Sic Transit Gloria Humanorum", which is
Exeter   Devon   UK   | Latin for "There goes the neighbourhood!"'