Whack-a-mole device assignments

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 20 16:12:39 UTC 2005

James Mckenzie wrote:
> [...]

Correct.  The reason that it DOES work correctly from a terminal is that
  I specify /media/OTOT or media/LEX* as I indicated in the original
post. The problem is that KDE doesn't *allow* the mount to be sorted out
according to fstab because *both* the device name and mount point are
specified. I hope this doesn't degenerate into a phone company style
finger-pointing discussion but I can certainly see how it can be called
a KDE bug -- especially if the mounting works properly in Gnome. OTOH,
KDE was there first. (Before udev).  In any event, this is the KDE that
is part of Fedora Core.

Whatever component winds up being the "goat" doesn't really matter and
for *my* purposes, I can live with it indefinitely.