grub and flying elephants

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Thu Jan 20 17:25:16 UTC 2005

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

| The subject line is for those who remember Dumbo and the line "I
| guess I will have seen everything when I see an elephant fly".
|
| Well Grub has shown me something I have never seen before so I need
| help.
|
| We have 7 identical machines bought at the same time. They are the
| Dwarf machines. I have successfully got Dwarf1 and Dwarf7 up and
| going with FC2.
|
| This morning I loaded exactly the same software through untarring
| an image of Dwarf7 on Dwarf2, 3 and 4. I changed the entries in the
| hosts, network and ifcfg-eth0 files. I changed the grub.conf so it
| looks like the ones that work. I will include a copy below. When I
| run grub-install the all three machines return with the error: the
| file /boot/grub/stage1  not read correctly.
|
| I copied the whole grub directory from a working machine and got
| the same error. On another machine I zeroed the boot part of the
| MBR and got the same error from grub-install. I am clueless. Any
| help would be appreciated.
|
| ==============      grub.conf file =========================
|
| # grub.conf generated by anaconda # # Note that you do not have to
| rerun grub after making changes to this file # NOTICE:  You do not
| have a /boot partition.  This means that #          all kernel and
| initrd paths are relative to /, eg. #          root (hd0,3) #
| kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda4 #          initrd
| /boot/initrd-version.img #boot=/dev/hda default=0 timeout=20
| splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz title Fedora Core
| (2.6.9-1.11_FC2smp) root (hd0,2) kernel
| /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.11_FC2smp ro root=/dev/sda3 initrd
| /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.11_FC2smp.img
|

| title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.6_FC2) root (hd0,2) kernel
| /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.6_FC2 ro root=/dev/sda3 initrd
| /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.6_FC2.img
|
| #title WinXP #        rootnoverify (hd0,0) #        chainloader +1

I hope you remembered to unmount all file systems before doing the tar
that made a copy and unmounted all file systems before unbarring to
the new machines.

Some files do not copy correctly when you just do a tar of the whole
machine.  You have to be careful.  The best thing to do in this case
was to tar the individual partitions from the original machine, maybe
using the rescue CD to boot from.

James