grub and flying elephants

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Thu Jan 20 17:44:19 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 12:25:16PM -0500, James Kosin wrote:

> akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
>
> | The subject line is for those who remember Dumbo and the line "I
> | guess I will have seen everything when I see an elephant fly".
> |
> | Well Grub has shown me something I have never seen before so I need
> | help.
> |
> | We have 7 identical machines bought at the same time. They are the
> | Dwarf machines. I have successfully got Dwarf1 and Dwarf7 up and
> | going with FC2.
> |
> | This morning I loaded exactly the same software through untarring
> | an image of Dwarf7 on Dwarf2, 3 and 4. I changed the entries in the
> | hosts, network and ifcfg-eth0 files. I changed the grub.conf so it
> | looks like the ones that work. I will include a copy below. When I
> | run grub-install the all three machines return with the error: the
> | file /boot/grub/stage1  not read correctly.
> |
> | I copied the whole grub directory from a working machine and got
> | the same error. On another machine I zeroed the boot part of the
> | MBR and got the same error from grub-install. I am clueless. Any
> | help would be appreciated.
> |
> | ==============      grub.conf file =========================
> |
> | # grub.conf generated by anaconda # # Note that you do not have to
> | rerun grub after making changes to this file # NOTICE:  You do not
> | have a /boot partition.  This means that #          all kernel and
> | initrd paths are relative to /, eg. #          root (hd0,3) #
> | kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda4 #          initrd
> | /boot/initrd-version.img #boot=/dev/hda default=0 timeout=20
> | splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz title Fedora Core
> | (2.6.9-1.11_FC2smp) root (hd0,2) kernel
> | /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.11_FC2smp ro root=/dev/sda3 initrd
> | /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.11_FC2smp.img
> |

> | title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.6_FC2) root (hd0,2) kernel
> | /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.6_FC2 ro root=/dev/sda3 initrd
> | /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.6_FC2.img
> |
> | #title WinXP #        rootnoverify (hd0,0) #        chainloader +1
> |
> I hope you remembered to unmount all file systems before doing the tar
> that made a copy and unmounted all file systems before unbarring to
> the new machines.
>
> Some files do not copy correctly when you just do a tar of the whole
> machine.  You have to be careful.  The best thing to do in this case
> was to tar the individual partitions from the original machine, maybe
> using the rescue CD to boot from.
>
> James
 I appreciate the response but in one case I ftp-ed the grub directory from
 a working machine. Would that not copy correctly?

Trouble strikes in series of threes, but when working around the house the
next job after a series of three is not the fourth job -- it's the start of
a brand new series of three.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University