Quake II for Fedora Core 3

Fabrice Colin fabrice.colin at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 20 18:24:03 UTC 2005

A. Rick Anderson wrote:
> Neither site has much detail on installing the packages.  I have a real
> QII cdrom, so getting the (c) ip isn't an issue for me.  I doubt that
> the install as simple as setting the execute permissions and running the
> quake2...run file?  Is there a site that has more detailed instructions
> on setting this up?

It should just be a matter of copying the pak files from the CD
(or a Windows install) to your baseq2 directory. For instance :

cp /media/cdrom/Install/Data/baseq2/*pak /usr/local/games/quake2/baseq2/

Make sure the pak files are then readable by your user.
My RPM sets up a menu entry under Games. Use that or run 'quake2' or
'sdlquake2' from /usr/local/games/quake2.

I was lucky to buy the "Quake 2 Colossus for Linux" box a few years ago,
which includes RPMs for the data files, so I never had to do that. But
that should do it.

I hope this helps.

Fabrice