Incorrect MD5SUM

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 19:13:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:14:53 -0500, Dennis Shaw
<dennis at dragondeveloper.com> wrote:
> wget worked perfect. I guess the Firefox downloader was killing it after
> a certain amount of time. The -c option is great. I should have used man
> wget before hand. Thanks for the help Paul and Deron.
>
> Deron Meranda wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:30:25 -0500, Dennis Shaw
> ><dennis at dragondeveloper.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Ya, the file I downloaded is only1557566248 bytes, obviously not right.
> >>I was using Firefox to download it... I'm trying wget now.
> >>

> >Use the -c option to wget and it should attempt to resume your
> >download from where it was truncated rather than starting all
> >over from byte 0 again.

The Mozilla/Firefox downloader is not very robust.  It has improved
over time but is still (IMHO) not as good as wget.  One of the
problems in the past was that Download Manager would download a file
into the temp directory and then copy the file to the destination
folder.  Problems with this implementaton were: 1) slow performance
[data need to be moved twice] and 2) data loss when temp directory
have insufficient space for the file.  To this day I do not know if
Download Manager checks if there is sufficient space to hold a file
before it downloads it.