Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jan 20 19:16:38 UTC 2005

On Thursday 20 January 2005 11:45, William Hooper wrote:
>Gene Heskett said:
>[snip]
>
>>> So clarify for me.  Are you saying that:
>>>

>>> a) you tried it and it didn't work
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> b) you are dismissing it out of hand
>>
>> Basicly b, but I haven't restarted the install again to test it
>> either.  And while I'm open for corrections, that machine has been
>> useing dma as autodetected by the booting kernel without any
>> oddities for a couple of months.

Ok, I restarted the installer but I didn't do it quite exactly as
before since I'm more interested in having a test box at this point
that works.  This time I set that 4GB hdb3 partition I was going to
use for /root, to /var, and reset the 3Gb I was going to use for /var
to be /opt.

And I let DD format and name them this time.  Its now near the end of
the 3rd cd (I told it everything) and proceeding normally, and
without the ide=nodma on the command line, just the usual "linux
text".

The only thing it should touch the hda drive for is to install grub.
If all this actually works, its a throwaway install and I'll next try
the automatic on hdb and see how that works.  I'm curious to see what
DD thinks is the ideal install on a 46GB drive.

Silly Q though.  If it puts grub back on hda (it was booting from boot
partition on /dev/hdb1 even though I'd re-installed grub on hda
several times), then I assume I have to specify the whole path
to /dev/hdb1/vmlinuz-version-etc in the grub entries, correct?
That seems to have worked, but the drive with that /boot partition is
now laying on the back of the pool table in a static bag, unused.

Previously I actually had two partitions named /boot (in the
respective /etc/fstabs, and no labels had been applied as I don't
normally run with an initrd) and to prevent nasty surprises, I was
putting the same set of boot files on both disks when I built a new
kernel.  Is there a better way, like above?

Also, second & 3rd silly Q's, silly because I'm sure its been
discussed here before, if I settle on an install, and I decide to
have yum bring it up to date, what packages over and above yum and
rpm should be in the initial update run?  I understand thats bit a
few folks before.

And should I reboot it after those (yum, rpm & friends) are updated,
or is a run of ldconfig sufficient?

Once the update is done, then BDI-Live gets re-installed on /dev/hda,
wiping the FC3RC3 install thats there now and all the work I've done
in that gets copied back from here.  Then BDI will have some wiggle
room for future growth as right now its all on one 8GB partition.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)