Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jan 20 21:25:08 UTC 2005

On Thursday 20 January 2005 14:46, Erich Noll wrote:
>>Gene Heskett said:
>>I'm going to see if I can repeat the install yet today, and get the
>>same out of space error again at the top of cd disk 2.
>
>Gene, please do us a favor:  if and when you get the "out of space"
> error, boot back up with rescue and check the /root/install.log .
> I'll bet you will see an error message indicating a problem OTHER
> THAN "out of space" because the installer seems to group certain
> I/O errors and memory errors together, and pops up that error
> window you see.
>
>I personally had to try at least 5 times to install FC3, finally
> selecting the desktop config and de-selecting many large packages
> like openoffice, evolution, gaim, etc. in order to get past what
> appeared to be a memory error.  I even swapped known-good memory
> DIMMs at one point.  By the way, I was able to successfully install
> the de-selected packages from the same media after I finally got
> the trimmed-down desktop config installed. My media passed the
> mediacheck every time.  My memory passed the memtest86 every time.
>
>It seems like whatever is running to install from the CDs is a LOT
> more sensitive to errors than the linux system it installs.  It
> would be nice if the installer would allow you to retry when an
> error occurred, or perhaps back-out the failed package then tell
> you at the end to re-install the failed ones.
>
>Just my $.02 .

I would, but this time it installed and is running.  See my previous
message.  But I'm going to do one totally automatic install just for
grins or frowns.

In other words, Im not done piddlin with this box yet.

Oh, and chalk me up in the "no audio" group.  FC3RC3 worked, as does
the BDI-Live install, but see the "FC3 hates me" thread on audio.
I'm not gonna waste a lot of time on it till I've got about 50 lbs of
other fish fried.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)