pcmcia wifi help please

Mike Hoy mhoy4 at cox.net
Thu Jan 20 21:34:19 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to get my netgear ma401 802.11b PCMCIA wifi card working.

it worked under slackware. I'm confused if this is a orinoco chipset or
prism

here is what's confusing me:

dmesg:
[most of it snipped just pasting the part relevant to this card]
cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.
orinoco 0.13e (David Gibson <hermes at gibson.dropbear.id.au>, Pavel Roskin
<proski at gnu.org>, et al)
orinoco_cs 0.13e (David Gibson <hermes at gibson.dropbear.id.au>, Pavel
Roskin <proski at gnu.org>, et al)
divert: allocating divert_blk for eth1
eth1: Station identity 001f:0006:0001:0003
eth1: Looks like an Intersil firmware version 1.3.6
eth1: Ad-hoc demo mode supported
eth1: IEEE standard IBSS ad-hoc mode supported
eth1: WEP supported, 104-bit key
eth1: MAC address 00:09:5B:23:3B:D6
eth1: Station name "Prism  I"
eth1: ready
eth1: index 0x01: Vcc 5.0, irq 3, io 0x0100-0x013f

at the top of the message it shows orinoco 0.13...
and at the bottom it calls eth1: Station name "Prism I"

Anyone know what this means?

When I put the card in and try to use KWIFI manager it shows a picture
of the pcmcia card with a ? question mark going thru it as if it is
unrecognized. of course i do not connect. Also it just occurred to me
that I juse gnome and this is a KDE utility. should i be using something
else when in Gnome for wifi management. in any case ifconfig shows i'm
not connected.

i'm using FC3 2.6.10-1.741_FC3 on a compaq r3000 presario p4

mike hoy