FC3: WEP doesn't work with Cisco Aironet 350

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Jan 20 23:11:59 UTC 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Michael W. Carney wrote:

> Hi Barry,
>
> Barry Gould wrote:
> | Hi,
> | On my Dell Latitude D800, I had my PCMCIA Cisco Aironet 350 working fine
> | in FC2, with 128bit WEP.
>
> Likewise, I had it working fine on my ibm thinkpad R40, with the minipci
> aironet 350, for both FC1 and FC2. The wireless environment details were
> 128bit WEP, shared key, don't broadcast ESSID.
>
> Alas, after installing FC3, the airo driver no longer works in my
> environment (at all - even w/ WEP, broadcast SESID). No errors; it just
> won't associate with the access point. It does find other access points
> in the neighborhood, but since they're WEPed, I can't get it to
> associate with them either.

This is quite strange.  I have the airo 350 minipci in a T40.  I did a
fresh install of FC3, and the card was detected (now eth0, where in FC2 it
was eth1) and configured.  The airo driver in 2.6.10 claims to support the
MPI card directly.  I had to delete the interface in system-config-network
(wich came up as Ethernet instead of Wireless) and recreate it, but it's
worked just fine ever since. (128-bit WEP, hidden SSID, Firmware 5.41.)

Ah, I see below that you are using a much later firmware version than I
am.  You might try rolling it back in Windows (you'll need the matching
driver in Windows or it will keep updating the firmware).  (I don't know
if this has much to do with the PCMCIA version of the card.  It would
surprise me not at all if it did not.)

I think it worked with the latest 2.6.10 kernel, but APM suspend-to-RAM
doesn't so I am stuck using 2.6.9-681 for now.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu