strangeness in /boot

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 20 23:39:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 07:42:52AM -0700, Craig White wrote:

> I updated to newest kernel (FC-3) and am getting error message in
> boot...
>
>  fs type usbdevfs not supported by kernel
>
> OK - so I look at /boot and see...
>
> # ls -l /boot
> total 10383
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root    5824 Jun 15  2004 boot.b
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    1024 Jan 20 07:35 grub
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      23 Aug 21  2003 module-info -> module-
> info-2.4.20-20.9
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      29 Sep 17 10:42 System.map ->
> System.map-2.4.22-1.2194.nptl
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      26 Jun 28  2004 vmlinuz ->
> vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2194.nptl

> and I see that System.map vmlinuz and module-info links are pointing to
> old kernels.

Check you /boot/grub/grub.conf

I suspect that these symbolic are no longer referenced. At some time
in the past these links were made and because of some update interruption
they were not cleaned out.

For example if you update FC1 --> FC2 having booted from the
CDROM I have  found that /boot gets cleaned out.
If you do a live FC1 update to FC2 via yum, as many do,
I would bet that this house cleaning does not take place
because it would clobber the active system.... YMMV.

Check your yum.conf config.... etc.
Delay your next update some and check with other
for the best way to tidy things up.

Me I like to do a update to my desktop (after a backup) and a 100%
clean system install on a reference machine.  Side by side it
is easy to see what and how fix things.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.