How to istall GCC and G++ compiler in FC3.0?

Jeff Ratliff jefrat at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 21 01:14:29 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 01:07:49PM +0100, Theodore Papadopoulo wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 13:24 -0500, Jeff Ratliff wrote:
>
> Well, it may be because I also installed the gcc-4.0 preversions, but
> instead of having gcc,
> g++, g77, I have now gcc34, gcc4, g++34, g++4, gfortran.... and
> unfortunately many tools (including autoconf) want to see the former
> names. Am I missing something, did I do something wrong ? Is there a
> better way than creating the appropriate symlinks ?? Is there a proper
> patch for the autotools ??
>
> As for gfortran, I now that is the new name for a totally new fortran
> compiler, so certainly autoconf needs to be updated...

When I do "yum install gcc4," yum seems perfectly willing to do that, so
this must be a perfectly legitimate FC3 package (if you have a need for
it).
  When I do
# rpm -qa | grep gcc

I get

gcc-3.4.2-6.fc3
libgcc-3.4.2-6.fc3
gcc-c++-3.4.2-6.fc3
gcc-g77-3.4.2-6.fc3
gcc-java-3.4.2-6.fc3

This tells me gcc34 is not on my system, and is probably not a legit
FC3 package, since on FC3 it's called gcc. Browsing around the Fedora
mirrors I find that there is a gcc34 listed as an FC2 package. My guess
is you've done something wrong. Probably installed an FC2 rpm by mistake,
done an upgrade from FC2 in an unsopported manner, screwed up your yum
configuration so it's installing old packages, or something else bad. I'd
fire your system administrator, then try to wipe out and reinstall all
your development stuff. It's hard to tell how to do that without knowing
exactly how the problem occured. I'd uninstall the Development group
through system-config-packages, then start doing "rpm -qa | grep gcc",
"rpm -qa | grep autoconf", etc, to see what's left, then remove this
stuff too.
  If this gets too hairy you may consider a re-install of the system,
because you really don't want to be doing development or programming
with broken tools.

Good luck.