Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jan 21 01:26:20 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 21:36, Jeff Vian wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 17:13 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >No, he's right on this one.  Try creating a layout with /boot
>> > first, then /, then swap, then /home where DD creates all the
>> > partitions. Every time I've tried without fdisk'ing the
>> > partitions first, DD re-arranges the layout into some other
>> > order.  That is especially stupid in the case where you try to
>> > make an identical layout on the next drive and RAID1 mirror the
>> > partitions, then DD moves them so they end up paired with
>> > something on the same drive.  FC3 has some new options for
>> > mirrors so it may not be as difficult as before, but we still
>> > need some way to nail down a layout in DD that will be
>> > repeatable in the resulting kickstart file.

I grabbed this one just to follow the thread, Jeff.

Anyway, I now have a repeat install failure, on the same file it
upchucked over before I believe, this time while doing a full
automatic install on /dev/hdb.

>From the installer screen:

There was an error installing openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.2-10.  This can
indicate media failure, lack of disk space and/or hardware problems.
This is a fatal error and your install will be aborted.  Please
verify your media and try your install again.

>From the end of the /mnt/sysimage/root/install.log:

error: unpacking of archive failed on
file /usr/lib/ooo-1.1/program/resource/svx64508.res; 41f03elf: cpio:
MD5SUM mis-match.

There didn't seem to be anything related to that in
the /mnt/sysimage/root/install.log.syslog.

Now, this all points to a bum cd, but its been md5sum'd several times
now.  Chances are than a restart will work.  Maybe.  Its failed 2 out
of three times through this loop now.  I'll see if an older burner I
have will fit without having to hack up the face of the box with a
hacksaw tomorrow, it was working just fine in this box when I took it
out to make room for a dvd burner last spring.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)