Newbie Questions.

Michael Scottaline nbhs2 at i-2000.com
Fri Jan 21 02:22:56 UTC 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:37:58 -0500
zoe at purdue.edu insightfully noted:

ZE>Hey, I'm sort of new to *nix in general and very new to FC3, which I
ZE>have just  installed on a PII 350, 64MB Ram, 4,3G HD. It is a dual boot
ZE>with WIN 98 SE.   The following are a couple questions which I haven't
ZE>been able to figure out:
ZE>
ZE>1.My specs are far from optimal; gnome absolutely crawls, I don't much
ZE>care  for FCE, and I haven't yet tried KDE.  All I would really like is
ZE>something  simple with a nice fast file browser.
ZE>
ZE>A friend has recomended Afterstep, however the latest version of Fedora
ZE>Core  for which RPM's are available is FC2.  Can this afterstep be
ZE>installed on  FC3?  In general can RPMs for earlier versions of FC be
ZE>installed on later  versions?
ZE>
ZE>Is Afterstep even a good idea?  Are there other, better options for a
ZE>low-end  system like mine?
AS is not bad at all, but there are many others.  If you're not too intent
on having eye-candy and a mousy interface, try ion3, ratpoison, or wmi.
For a bit more gui feel, try IceWM, of XFCE4.  You mihgt also consider
Enlightenment, although that's a bit more resource intesive.
HTH,
Mike

--
"The man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30
years of his life"