DNS not resolving DHCP clients

Bill Cronk ngc4013 at cox.net
Fri Jan 21 02:47:17 UTC 2005

A. Rick Anderson Wrote:

>It is my understanding that I should be able to enable DHCP and then do a ping on the >hostname of a workstation with a dynamic IP address, and if I am properly configured, the >hostname of the ping should be able resolve.

>It's not.  If I hardcode the IP address in the zone maps, dhcp.conf and /etc/hosts, DNS >resolves resolves the hostname and ping works as expected.  But then, if I do all that, >then I am not really using DHCP either.  If I comment out the IP address from the >/etc/hosts file, then ping can't find the dynamic host by name.

>I have verified that both DNS, and DHCP are working.  If I renew a DHCP lease, I get the >router and DNS servers that are listed in dhcp.conf.  I can ping my dynamic workstation >from the workstation itself.  I can ping the DNS aliases (created via CNAME).  But I can't >ping the dynamic workstation from the server.

>I suppose that I could go back to hard-coding everything, but that would be really annoying.

>-- A. Rick Anderson

Rick,

DHCP is only there to provide IP addresses to your computers either through hard assigned addresses or dynamically from a pool. In conjunction with the DNS server, such as bind9.xx, and statements such as "ddns-update on;" in your dhcpd.conf file, your machine should be able to reolve both host names and hostname.domain.name strings without any issues or need to build up hard coded zone maps.

If you can not resolve the host names then you may be having a similar problem that I have recently experienced, Jim Lawrence is seeing, and most likely a few others. Look back a few list postings to find our messages and see if your problem may fit into the same category.

Bill