DNS not resolving DHCP clients

A. Rick Anderson a_rick at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 21 03:16:37 UTC 2005

Bill Cronk wrote:

> A. Rick Anderson Wrote:
>
>> It is my understanding that I should be able to enable DHCP and then
>> do a ping on the >hostname of a workstation with a dynamic IP
>> address, and if I am properly configured, the >hostname of the ping
>> should be able resolve.
>
>> It's not.  If I hardcode the IP address in the zone maps, dhcp.conf
>> and /etc/hosts, DNS >resolves resolves the hostname and ping works as
>> expected.  But then, if I do all that, >then I am not really using
>> DHCP either.  If I comment out the IP address from the >/etc/hosts
>> file, then ping can't find the dynamic host by name.
>
>> I have verified that both DNS, and DHCP are working.  If I renew a
>> DHCP lease, I get the >router and DNS servers that are listed in
>> dhcp.conf.  I can ping my dynamic workstation >from the workstation
>> itself.  I can ping the DNS aliases (created via CNAME).  But I can't
>> >ping the dynamic workstation from the server.
>
>> I suppose that I could go back to hard-coding everything, but that
>> would be really annoying.
>
>> -- A. Rick Anderson
>

> Rick,
>
> DHCP is only there to provide IP addresses to your computers either
> through hard assigned addresses or dynamically from a pool. In
> conjunction with the DNS server, such as bind9.xx, and statements such
> as "ddns-update on;" in your dhcpd.conf file, your machine should be
> able to reolve both host names and hostname.domain.name strings
> without any issues or need to build up hard coded zone maps.
>
> If you can not resolve the host names then you may be having a similar
> problem that I have recently experienced, Jim Lawrence is seeing, and
> most likely a few others. Look back a few list postings to find our
> messages and see if your problem may fit into the same category.

I've been following your thread.  It sounded to me that your thread
deals with where the GUI tools are putting the configuration files.
I've been manipulating mine by hand (vi), so I'm not sure how the two
threads are related.

ddns-updates on; According to the docs, it is supposed to be the
default.  I have tried setting it explicitly, and I haven't seen any
change in behavior.  (I.E. ping still can't find the dynamic
workstation)  However, if I am modifying the wrong files, that would
figure.  I think that is unlikely, since I removed all the files from my
/var/named directory to eliminate just such a possibility of
contention/confusion.

-- A. Rick Anderson