how many times can we reuse/write to DVD+RW?

Alex Evonosky alex at alexevon.org
Fri Jan 21 04:50:21 UTC 2005

j p wrote:
.. also any interesting/useful info from folks who use
> DVD+RW as backup media??

I used a DVD+RW as a backup tool.

I have 4 linux servers.  All are mounted to the backup server via NFS to
one directory.  Each linux box tar and zips its own directories and
moves them to the mounted NFS directory each night via a cron job.  Then
twice a week, the DVD burner burns that one directory and deletes the
files.  This has been going on for over 1 year with no issues.  I used
to use a DLT tape, but found the DVD medium much more reliable.