Postfix or Sendmail?

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Fri Jan 21 06:05:27 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Michael Stiller wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 05:33 +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> > On 01/18/2005 08:11:49 PM, Ben Halicki wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm in the process of a mailserver upgrade, just after your thoughts
> > > as to
> > > which MTA to go for... any ideas?
> >
> > I prefer postfix.
> > Nothing against sendmail - it works too.
>
> Consider exim and qmail too.

I do not know anything about exim so I will not comment on it but, IMO anyone
who in this day and age would even think about using qmail should really
have a look at the currently maintained MTA's out there. In its day qmail
was fine but AFAIK DJB is no longer actively maintaining it, and will not
allow redistribution of modified code. I have unfortunately been forced to
use qmail on some legacy systems. They were such a PITA to maintain that I
put them behind postfix machines until I can get them migrated. Postfix
is just so much better at rejecting spam.

In addition qmail is not supported by any Red Hat distribution, so in order
to be able to use it you must get the tarball for qmail and all of the patches
you need. Then build it from source, and do what ever is necessary to maintain
it.

IMO if you are going to use fedora you should stick to one of the 3 MTA's
that are supported by Fedora.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com