NVIDIA driver *taints* kernel???

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Fri Jan 21 06:09:29 UTC 2005

Jonathan Berry wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:51:47 -0500, Sam Varshavchik
><mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
>

>>Guy Fraser writes:

>>>Again you are so wrong.
>>>

>>What's wrong with supporting vendors that support open source?
>>

>Nothing.  But as Paul pointed out, ATi does not support open source either.
>
>[snip]
>

>>Well, these closed source drivers may be there today.  Will they be there
>>tomorrow?  When a new kernel comes out, is there any chance that NVidia
>>might change their mind, decide not to invest any more resources into
>>support AMD64, and stop providing bug fixes and updates?
>>

>This is always possible.  Of course, you could also give this argument
>for Windows.  They could decide not to support x64, or Longhron, or
>other Windows updates.  This, of course, would be unthinkable, and
>yes, dropping Linux support would be *much* more likely, but one can
>still make the argument.  One could also argue that nVidia could
>decide to open source their drivers.  Again, not very likely, but it
>is possible.  Likewise, I think this is not very likely as long as
>nVidia sees they can make money by supporting Linux.  Anything can
>change, so let's evaluate what we have now.  Right now, nVidia
>provides good support for Linux with closed-source drivers.
>

>>I know I won't have that problem with an open source driver.
>>

>But will that driver continue to support the video cards that are out
>there?  Eventually ATi will stop making the chipsets that are
>currently supported.  Then ATi and nVidia will truely be in the same
>boat, and I think nVidia (right now) has the more stable Linux ship.
>
>Probably the best thing we can do is support the video card companies
>that support Linux at all.  Maybe if we show are support and are vocal
>enough, they will open source their drivers.  At least they will
>continue to support their products and give Linux the respect it
>deserves as a viable operating system.  If we turn our backs on those
>who try to support us, but do not give us exactly what we want, who
>will benefit from that?
>
>Jonathan

I agree with Jonathan's suggestion that "the best thing we can do is
support the video card companies that support Linux at all."  That is
step one.  Step two is to grow the linux market and the surest way to do
that is greater attention to development of user friendly, desktop
systems.  I say greater attention to development of user friendly
desktop systems for a simple reason  - sheer market size!   Put Linux
systems on desktops outside of IT departments in business enterprises
and office workers will more readily consider them for home use.  The
larger the desktop market share, the greater (and better) card vendor
support for Linux because of the much greater potential for (and effort
to make) sales to equipment suppliers.   EVERY desktop system uses a
graphics adapter and monitor whereas routers and servers may or may not
have their own dedicated displays.