NVIDIA driver *taints* kernel???

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Jan 21 06:14:38 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 11:54:23PM -0600, Jonathan Berry wrote:
> Sorry, I was not clear.  Yes, the new chipsets are not supported.  I
> meant eventually they will stop even manufacturing the older chipsets
> that are supported and the video card manufacturers will stop making
> boards based on the old chipsets.  The only way to get them will be as
> used parts, if they are still around and still function.

As far as I can tell, this is already true for the R200-based ones (the
fastest ever -- all of the later options with 3d support are actually
slower). If I'm wrong, I'd love to know.

Does anyone have any good benchmarks for how these cards perform compared to
Intel's 915G chipset under Linux?

I found an article at <http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-241-1.htm>,
(from October 2004) and it shows the Intel option at about the same
performance level as the Radeon 9100 IGP (which, from the man pages alone,
looks to be supported in 3d in FC3 xorg-x11-6.8.1 but not in FC2
xorg-x11-6.7.0-11).

Not that this is a performance option, but it's at least a _current_ one.