OT: Fedora and RHCE

Terry Polzin fox3ec208 at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jan 21 12:25:21 UTC 2005

On Friday January 21 2005 00:55, Marc M wrote:
> Hey Chadley,
>
> If you don't mind a couple of questions, general ones of course not to
> get too specific about the test as I would never want to do that.
>
> I have been preparing for this for a while now, but I am scared of
> wasting a lot of money and not being ready despite several years'
> experience working with Red Hat starting with v.7.  Been through a
> zillion network based installs, lots of LUG activity, lots of
> tinkering on my own as well as on the job etc.  Went through one of
> the prep books - both the old one as well as the updated one for
> RHEL3.
I'm sure that these are good resources, but nothing can replace actual field
experience.  Remember the test is now all practical no written test.

> 1.  How does one gauge whether one is up to speed, as far as time
> goes?  IOW, there are problems many people can solve, but solve in a
> super-quick manner is another story.  That kind of thing is tough to
> measure, but critical for an exam, especially a costly one.
Once again, not allowed to say much as an RHCE  but how many odd situations
have you solved easily?

> 2.  How many permanently set up boxes do most people use to prepare?
> Obviously more than just one but would two work ?  THat has been a big
> holdback for me due to cost; ideally I would like to have quite a few.
Take one box and reinstall and reconfigure it as much as you need to.  That's
what I did for practice.  Before taking the class and the test.

> 3.  Would it be worth it to wait for RHEL4 to come out and take the
> course and exam then?  Since the majority of things are found within
> Fedora that aspect doesn't seem to make much differrence, but maybe I
> am overlooking something?

Yes, wait for RHEL 4 you will be certified (if you pass) until RHEL 6 comes
out.  Unless something changes.