evolution strangeness

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Fri Jan 21 12:59:41 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 18:25 +1100, david smethurst wrote:
> hi all
> if i do a send/receive in evolution ver 2.0.2 in fc3 all goes well
> if i let it check every twenty minutes or so it fails:
>
> Error while Fetching Mail.
>
> Could not connect to POP server pop.netspace.net.au (port pop3):
> Connection timed out.
>
> yet if i do send/receive all is ok?
> any ideas?

    Well, has this connection worked before?  If it has, it's usually
what I get when I lose the net- is it possible that the line's dropping?

    Can you use IMAP?  It's a lot nicer if you have a lot of messages;
it gets the headers when you check the mail, and the bodies only when
you read them- less to transfer.  There's also IMAPS for secure
communications.  Evolution can deal with both- see if your ISP can, too.

Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller