Newbie question - sharing files on dual-boot XP and FC3

Andrey Andreev andreev at cs.helsinki.fi
Fri Jan 21 13:39:22 UTC 2005

Bob Brennan wrote:
> I have tried many ways of sharing files between an XP NTFS partition
> and FC3 and have a few questions that I need help with:
>
> I have 3 primary partitions set up by Partition Magic - XP NTFS,
> shared VFAT, and FC3. Despite man documents claiming Linux fully
> supports NTFS I find that FC3 reports "kernel does not support NTFS"
> on a mount command. So questions 1&2:
>
> 1. Is there any way I can read/write my NTFS partition from FC3?
>
> 2. If not, is a shared VFAT partition the best alternative?

Shared VFAT is a good solution. However, if you sometimes need to get
some file from the other OS, and, and dont want to wait to reboot into
it in order to get it to the FAT partition, than reboot back into the OS
you are working on, you would probably want to usethose:

1. Read (only) NTFS from Linux
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/downloads.html

2. Read (only) ext2fs/ext3fs from Windows
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

Regards,

Andro

--