DNS issues in FC3

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Fri Jan 21 15:41:51 UTC 2005

Bill Cronk wrote:

| James wrote:
|
|> | <<-- SNIP -->>
|

|> | I too manually manipulated moved the files I created with Webmin
|> | into the /var/named/chroot/var/named location then created the
|> | static links back into the /var/named location, restarted Webmin and
|> | discovered that now DNS works and I was able to use Webmin to manage
|> | the configuration. Even after the configuration was in place the
|> | Fedora tool still would not function properly to manage the it.
|> |
|> |
|> | Bill
|> |
|> Bill,
|

|> Thanks, I guess the tools are still broken.  Unless there is a config
|> parameter that can tell the tools where the files are.  The tool may
|> not work because there are a few files in /etc that are also chrooted
|> to named.
|

|> James
|

| James,
|
| I had to day off due to a local government holiday, so Friday
| morning I plan on checking on my other server boxes with FC3
| installs and see what files are currently common within the
| /var/named path and the /var/named/chroot/var/named path. Then I
| will try to create some new files and see if and in which path they
| show up. Then I'll post the results here tomorrow evening.
|
| I also noticed that Jim Lawrence is having problems that may be from
| the same problem I am having.
|
| Bill

Bill,

Files to watch......
/etc/named.conf
/etc/named.cusom
/var/named      <<---  Files here

Chrooted files
/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
/var/named/chroot/etc/named.custom
/var/named/chroot/var/named/      <<---  Files here

Things also get a little strange if you let them...
/var/named/chroot/var/named/chroot/var/named/  <<-- directory exists;
but no files should be here.

Each place has separate files.  There are no links to files in either
place.
I'm not sure which would be better; removing the original files in
/etc/named.conf and replace them with links to the chrooted files
- --or-- putting links in the chrooted area back to the /etc/named.conf
files and etc.
Either way, it makes things difficult to manage.

James