Is this an X problem or mouse problem?

Tom Cross tomc at cloudnet.com
Fri Jan 21 17:26:44 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 17:18, Deron Meranda wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:53:13 -0600, Tom Cross <tomc at cloudnet.com> wrote:
> > Just installed a bunch of new Dell 4600 computers with fresh installs of
> > Fedora Core 3 all with USB optical mice.  All computers have been
> > updated with all the updates-released packages.
> >
> > Almost everyday someone comes back to their desk and finds they have no
> > mouse cursor!
>
> Are they locking their screens when they are away.  What
> Xscreensaver modules are being used?

We usually just have it set to "Random" but I'm the only one in the
building that uses the locking feature of xscreensaver.  I don't have a
problem but then again I'm on fc2 still.  :-)

> You might try configuring Xscreensaver to just blank the
> screen rather than running a graphical saver program; and
> see if that makes a difference.

Good idea.  I will try this.

> I too have seen the mouse pointer completely disappear on
> one of my FC3 systems; but it's a PS/2 mouse and it only happened
> when I had a program like gqview (which was dropped in FC3)
> was up in full-screen mode and then I let the screensaver
> kick in.  Also, I could never get the pointer back without
> actually killing my X session.  I figured it was a bug in gqview.

My users are running normal desktop apps.  Firefox, evolution, open
office, a bunch of xterms.  I doubt it's one of the applications, but
your case does sound like it with a full-screen mode and all.

Thanks for the ideas!

--
Tom Cross           Voice: 320-253-6483 Ext 207      FAX: 320-253-6956
IS Manager                                    E-mail: tomc at kendeco.com
Kendeco Tool Crib                               http://www.kendeco.com