SOLVED: rbldnsd/Bind

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Fri Jan 21 17:53:44 UTC 2005

I'm never sure if I should refer to the dns resolver as "named" or
"bind."

Anyway, it turns out that the problem was in Bind and as simple as my
choice of rbldnsd zone names.

When Bind is an authoritative name server for a zone (in this case
tqmcube.com) it will not forward queries to a forwarder for sub-zones
(eg rbl.tqmcube.com). Thus, by simply changing the rbldnsd zones to
dummies (hosts.tqmrbl.com and clients.tqmrbl.com), Bind will forward
requests to the machine running rbldnsd.