Newbie question - sharing files on dual-boot XP and FC3

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 21 17:58:01 UTC 2005

Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> Anyone able to tell me how to move /home to the bfat partition by
> default? It would sort of make more sense given the way I use the system...

Um. This may be a bad idea. Vfat doesn't support everything that a Unix
filesystem does. A lot of programs will put files under /home, and may
expect to do standard Unix things there.

For example, bittorrent won't resume if you have its files on vfat. For
example, ssh, sendmail and postfix will moan unless you use exactly the
right umask and fmask settings in /etc/fstab: they expect certain files
*not* to be group writeable (or readable). For example, it looks as
though OpenOffice expects to be able to create symlinks in various
hidden directories.

Have a my-data symlink from your home directory to the vfat filesystem,
and keep documents there.
ln -s /vfat ~/my-data

Having said that, the best way to do what you asked is to login as root,
and edit /etc/fstab to mount the vfat filesystem as /home.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | "Does exactly what it says on the tin." ...
Exeter    Devon    UK | I've got a tin at home: it says "Open other end".