Convert WMA to OGG ???

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Fri Jan 21 18:21:29 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-21-01 at 08:57 +0000, Rob Kirkbride wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote on 21/01/2005 08:28:
>
> >I made some comparison files from some of my disks, both with a
> >commercial shareware encoder for making mp3's and with the ogg
> >method.  To me the obvious winner at any comparable bit rate was ogg,
> >and at quality level 6, its very very difficult to tell the ogg from
> >the original, at Q7 there is no discernable difference, and I can
> >listen to it all night with no fatigue whatsoever. I don't have more
> >than 20 megs of mp3's in my own collection of about 2.5 gigs. and it
> >sure beats lugging a 20+ pound cd holder around and getting it
> >stolen.
> >

> I'd second that. I've had both a minidisc player which uses WMA? and an
> MP3 player. I now have an iriver H320 player which uses oggs. To say
> oggs sound better than MP3s is a understatement. Being a bit of a hi-fi
> nut I used to laugh at people who thought MP3 bore any relation to the
> original sound but oggs are massively better than MP3s - (I think i use
> quality 7 as I recall). MP3s just seemed to remove all the sublties and
> upset the timing - making them tiresome to listen to as you say (and boring)
> I'm really very happy with my iriver and it works fine with Linux - in
> fact when I plugged into a windows machine here at work it didn't work
> cos I didn't have the drivers!
>
> Native oggs are definitely the way to go!
>
> Rob

I will defer to those who know about quality.

Roxio CD/DVD creator can do mass conversions from many formats
to many formats, and I believe it supports ogg. Yeah I know it
is windows software, but then again where did the wma's come
from if it wasn't a windows machine? I have used this software
to rip all of my CDs and some of my cassette tapes.:-)

I saved them as mp3s so they would work wherever I wanted to
use them. I keep my entire 18GB collection on a small pocket
sized USB2/IEEE 1394 external drive, and to play an album I
just drop the folder on XMMS {with xmms-mp3 installed} and it
plays the whole album.:-)