Some FC-2 questions

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Fri Jan 21 23:37:59 UTC 2005

Kam Leo wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:59:21 -0500, David Curry <dsccable at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Hi all.
>>
>>I have some rather generic questions about FC-2 (Kernel 2.6.10-1.9, AMD
>>Athalon cpu) sound and CD recording.
>>
>>CD matters:
>>The command "cdrecord -scanbus" returns information on both of the two
>>CD drives on my system along with a note and two warning messages.  The
>>note advises that the software is an "unofficial", modified version of
>>cdrecord with DVD support.
>>Warning message #1 reads in part, "inofficial libscg transport code
>>version (Schily-Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH ....)".
>>Warning message #2 follows the parameter listing for my ATAPI  CD-R/RW
>>24X10 drive and reads, "Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD
>>capabilities page."
>>
>>Have others seen this second message on their systems?  What does it
>>mean with respect to functionality (useability) of the drive for writing
>>CDs?
>>
>>Sound matters:
>>Gnome hardware browser reports:
>>Sound cards -        VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 audio controller device
>>manfg by VIA Technologies sound card and a snd-82xx driver;
>>Pointing devices - PC Speaker, PS/2 mouse
>>
>>When first used, the hardware browser did not list "PC Speaker"
>>anywhere.  That item only appeared after entry of "modprobe pcspkr" at a
>>command line in root.  Is it customary for PC Speaker to be identified
>>as a pointing device?
>>
>>On bootup, I have no sound at all.  Each time I reboot, I must issue the
>>"modprobe pcspkr" command to get PC speaker sound.  Shouldn't PC Speaker
>>sound implement automatically?
>>
>>I get no sound at all from the motherboard integrated sound card (a
>>problem I am not asking anyone on this list to address now).  My
>>question for the list arises from the fact that each time I reboot I
>>find that volume settings on all sound control software are set to zero
>>on launch.  Is this normal?  Can it be overridden?
>>
>>--
>>

>Many of the questions that you ask have been raised before on this
>list. Please check the archives.

Perhaps.  Then again maybe not.  I looked in the archives before posting
my questions to the list.  In light of your response I revisited the
archives -- and revisited -- and revisited.  I found zilch on every one
of the topics raised much less on my specific questions.  A number of
references were found on the general topic of wirting CDs on REd Hat
Linux 7 and 8.  A number of list messages on the subject of
Cdrecord-clone 2.01-1.9a were found.  There were also messages on
DVD-record.  BUT, there is nothing on Cdrecord-clone 2.01-dvd.  What I
did find and read, however, suggested that the version of Cdrecord-clone
discussed in some of the messages was failing because the software was
trying to write dvd format to cd-r/rw drives.

As I do not have a dvd drive on my system, I have no immediate interest
in writing dvds.  I want to write CDs.

Why is cdrecord-clone launched when I enter  "cdrecord -scanbus" from a
terminal command line?

Neither Fedora Core I nor Fedora Core 2 release notes mention addition
of of cdrecord-clone packages.  Neither do they mention removal or
deprecation of plain old fashioned cdrecord!

I can safely say that thus far my Fedora experience leaves much to be
desired.