what are you using to write webpages?

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Fri Jan 21 23:43:53 UTC 2005

I started out with Windows Notepad, then moved on to Homesite. When I
began using Linux I did it on both Emacs and vi. At the same time I
learned the joys of having my own web server.

In my experience the HTML editor is unimportant. Any old editor is just
fine. What is truly important is your willingness to write html and css
code and keep right on trying it out on your favorite browser until it
works the way you want.

HTML and XHTML -- is not difficult.

Scripting with PHP (which requires HTML coding, of course) -- is a lot
of fun and quite challenging.

Scripting with both PHP and JavaScript -- is even more fun and challenging.

Scripting with PHP, JavaScript, and extracting data from a backend
database -- is the most fun of all. See any of the many books written on
PHP and MySQL for example.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about the editor you use. Joe Shmo living
halfway around the world doesn't care about your editor. He just wants
to see your web pages. Focus on writing quality web page code.

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland