Thanks for all the help... and a backup question

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 22 10:31:21 UTC 2005

zoe at purdue.edu wrote:

> I have a 160gb hard drive (with external firewire enclosure) which I
> would like to back up and put to use, as the 4,3 gig that I have at
> the moment really isn't enough.  At the moment it is HFS+ (I don't
> believe it is possible to mount this, is it?) and contains all that
> remains of my Mac User days.  I have a friend with a powerbook which I
> could borrow, however it only has a CD burner.  I am planning to buy
> up the DVD burner on Monday when they will be in stock.

Good luck!

It might be worth trying to mount that disk. Linux does have support for
HFS+ partitions: the documentation states:

# If you say Y here, you will be able to mount extended format
# Macintosh-formatted hard drive partitions with full read-write access.
#
# This file system is often called HFS+ and was introduced with
# MacOS 8. It includes all Mac specific filesystem data such as
# data forks and creator codes, but it also has several UNIX
# style features such as file ownership and permissions.

It looks as though Fedora has that module compiled in. It also has
support for the Mac partition scheme.

I don't know if you have a firewire adapter in your PC, or if it would
be easier to take the hard drive out of its enclosure and try putting it
in the PC.

If you take a look through /var/log/dmesg, you should see something like
this:
# hdc: max request size: 128KiB
# hdc: 80418240 sectors (41174 MB) w/1916KiB Cache, CHS=65535/16/63, UDMA(33)
# hdc: cache flushes not supported
#  hdc: hdc1 hdc2 < hdc5 hdc6 >

That last line will tell you which partitions Linux has detected. I
imagine you'll only find one on that disk.
Then try a
mount /dev/hdc1 /misc

I don't have any of the hardware in question, so I can't tell you "it
will work" or "you will need to do x". But we'll try to help if you tell
us how far you get.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
James Wilkinson       | "The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and,
Exeter    Devon    UK | like a clock, it regularly went cuckoo."