3ware 9000 series SATA RAID and FC3

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Jan 22 14:12:25 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 22.01.2005 schrieb Frank um 15:07:

> Several people have now reassured me that the 9000 series card will be
> supported by FC3, which is great to hear.  Thanks for sharing your
> knowledge with me.
>
> Can anyone tell me what is likely to happen when I drop the card into a
> machine that was running with an 8506, and turn it on?  I am guessing
> that the card will recognize the existing array, but will linux be
> bothered by the fact that a different card and driver are now used to
> access it's filesystems?
>
> Frank.

If the system sits on the drives attached to the 3ware controller, your
system will fail to boot.

Previous to exchanging the controller card change the SCSI hostadapter
entry in /etc/modprobe.conf to reflect the new/other kernel module. Then
run mkinitrd to build a new initial ramdisk image with the new/other
kernel module inside. Having done that, you then can shutdown, exchange
the controller and boot again.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.10-1.9_FC2smp
Serendipity 15:10:01 up 7 days, 22:32, load average: 0.13, 0.33, 0.25