Backing up several Windows machines to a Linux server

Chris Mason lists at masonc.com
Sat Jan 22 14:25:04 UTC 2005

> I am faced with what *must* be a very common task: to make backups of
> user files on several Windows machines to the hard disk of a Linux
> server

I have setup several backup servers using the wonderful backuppc software.
It's amazing, exactly what you are looking for and very slick. I imagine a
commercial solution with the same features would be horrendously expensive.
I am using 3 x 300 GB drives in a RAID5 config and backing up several
servers, three of which are remote web servers. There is also a very helpful
mailing list. Look no further.

Chris Mason